Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Forget the mistake, learn the lesson. What a new friend can teach you.

 When I moved to coastal Virginia I starting exploring to learn more about the area.  Some people might use the Concentric Circle method or the Just Make a Left method to learn their way around.  I used the Use Instagram To Stalk Cool People & Then Try to Meet Them in Real Life method.  Recognizing it sounds vaguely creepy, this latter method has been instrumental in meeting some genuinely awesome individuals.
 I met Anna through her salon/gift shop/coffee house/gathering place in Port Warwick.  Anna was kind enough to host me and another artist for a tremendous Artist Dinner, fired up First Fridays worthy of my former Stifel & Capra days, and was a real gatherer - of friends, people, events and connections. But she was not making things any more (she is a talented metalsmith and jeweler) and felt her life wasn't in balance so made the brave decision to listen to herself and give up her business to concentrate on own creativity instead of just facilitating others.
 This shocked pretty much everyone around her, but the outpouring of support and love is palpable. Everyone wants nothing but success and great things for her. I agree.

I see in Anna what I jokingly call a support group of women who just LOVE to start things, see the potential in everyone and everything but don't necessarily take care of our own to- do lists when it comes to ourselves. Watching this clever, witty, talented person pivot with grace and enthusiasm gives me hope that I can do the same.

No comments: