Thursday, April 4, 2019

I want to be my daughter when I grow up.

art history minor schooled me telling statue ages by hairstyles!
I wasn't one of those girls that dreamed of what my family might be like when I grew up. As someone who didn't date in high school I couldn't fathom a husband, let alone a family. Fast forward a couple of decades and we have the dollhouse version of a nuclear family: mom, dad, daughter and son.
not just a sculptor and cad designer but a screenprinter also!
 Moving all the time (7 schools in 12 years) and a nerd (before it was cool, plus being six feet tall and not athletic) it took me until my thirties to gel. So I was determined when I had kids that they would own them selves in all their goofy splendor and know that home was not a place but where love lived.
cum laude and employed 
The teenager that didn't study Sociology in college because business was more practical grew up and gave birth to a son who is majoring in Psychology and wants to discover the root causes of anxiety and depression. 
art school aluminum casting selfy
The woman who wouldn't lay claim to the title Artist until her forties gave birth to a daughter who graduated with a BFA from a Division I school. 
make a neckpiece that is not a necklace, they said.
 I thought I was supposed to teach my daughter and instead she teaches me:
to be bold, creative, loving and centered.
"mom, turn your hat sideways and rock the mohawk at Gold Cup!"
Happy Birthday Beautiful One! Love, Mom

No comments: