Sunday, March 27, 2016

Bittersweet but Optimistic

Today was the last retail sales day at Stifel & Capra in Falls Church.

I won't lie, it's been a ROUGH week (month, 60 days).  After all of the soul searching to decide to NOT renew the lease here locally I had to come face to face with my feelings of failure.  I don't do well with not winning.  Actually not so much winning (as in "We're Number ONE!" NCAA tournament anyone?) as in being successful on my own terms.

And not being profitable enough to take the hit of over the last year of the impact of construction AND absorb a twenty percent increase feels like failure to me.

Luckily for me, The Tribe that has assembled over the last few years reminds me that numbers aren't important. Since the news broke they have brought me:
hugs,
outrage,
champagne,
encouragement,
tears,
more hugs,
laughter,
gifts,
letters,
notes,
even more hugs,
stories,
praise
&
eye contact.

When I am not so sure about WANTING to look anyone in the eye because I feel like a failure- these people have DEMANDED me to look at them while they tell me how impactful the place I built has meant to them.

It's humbling.

Also humbling is that everyone, everyone that I have approached so far to collaborate with has told me YES.  And if you know me, you know I LOOOOOOVEE to start some stuff. So, hold onto your hats peeps, it's going to be fun.

Come ride with me.

And thank you for today.  Especially for the hugs,

PS- A special shout out to my lovely friend Fran Casey.
I grew up in a very loving but not terribly demonstraive family.
Until I met Fran and her husband John Brian I NEVER greeted people physically but was more of a hand shaker or waver (if I was feeling frisky.)
But Fran didn't know that and hugged me anyway.

Leading me on the path of actually being able to receive affection from folks that care.
I haven't seen Fran in months but she was there today.  To give me a hug.

xo

1 comment:

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

I'm proud of you for what you have done, the opportunities you have created for yourself, for others, for me. Will be cheering you on in your next chapter/s for sure!