Sunday, April 7, 2019

Sea Change Revisited

"Constance" part of the Sea Change series


sea change
/ˈsē ˌCHānj/
noun
  1. a profound or notable transformation.
    synonyms:transformationchangealterationmodificationvariationconversion,
    revisionamendmentmetamorphosistransfigurationevolutionmutation

Individuals can only make decisions for themselves but when they gather together to affect change - profound things can happen. A sea change can occur. Over the last year and a half I have been painting a collection of resolute women are examples of the traits needed to affect change. Buried within the contemporary mixed media portraits are scraps of ephemera that harken back to a time when women didn't have a voice in public.  It's important to absorb the past to illuminate the future.

After a solo show last year of resolute women of all shapes, sizes and colors I am expanding my Sea Change series to include more faces of valiant humans that want to change the world for the better.

I believe the next generation sees the world in an entirely different way than I did when I was in my teens and twenties. Talking to my kids and their friends I am thoroughly encouraged by their fierceness, intelligence and despair of their cynicism and stoicism. I do believe that they will be part of a sea change that will make the world an entirely different place when they are in their mid-life.

As a encouragement seemingly from above, this weekend one of my series paintings "Constance" took the blue ribbon at the 2nd annual juried show at Gloucester Arts at Arts on Main in Gloucester, Virginia. This honor came with a cash prize and a solo show at the gallery in 2020.  I am thrilled with the concept that these voices, these faces, these ideals that inspire me will be able to be shared with you in this wonderful space. 

The best part of the evening was speaking to curator Jennifer Morningstar and listening to her thought process on how she picked the award winners for the evening. Listening to someone tell you how and why what you made with your own two hands moves them was very special. I will never forget it. 

If you would like to follow the progress of the work please visit my art website here. There you will find social media links, photos galleries and an online shop for originals, prints and cards.



  

1 comment:

Connie said...

Hi Theresa! It was great meeting you on Saturday. I hope your friend likes the painting you bought from me. I guess if you decide to write on your blog...you might see my comment. You should write because you can! I've been reading some of your posts and you do have a talent for it! Hope to see you again sometime.
Carry on
Connie